Wednesday, 17 September 2014

Screens for Melts

You can buy various stainless steel screens such as barbecue grids for supporting glass melts. The grids need to be of stainless steel. Type 304 is the most common, but there are other grades which work at high temperatures too [link to stainless steels]

You can make your own grid as Cynthia Morgan does. This provides a more flexible arrangement for various effects. 

Instead of imbedding the rods into the brick, you could also place them on top. Place a kiln brick or other kiln furniture on the ends of the rods to secure the metal from moving. Then you can put the glass on top of the rods without them shifting as the glass is placed.