Although there are other ways to combine wire with glass, one popular method involves fusing wire inside the glass. This technique generally fuses and seals the wire between two layers of glass, so it is important to select a wire with the right characteristics. The main characteristics are:
1. The wire must be capable of withstanding the heat of the kiln.
2. The wire must emerge from the kiln in a relatively pristine condition, or at least can be easily cleaned.
3. The wire must also retain the desired flexibility and pliability. If it's too soft or brittle it may not support the piece.
4. The wire must not react with or contaminate the glass. In most cases colour changes and metal flakes are not desirable.
5. The wire must be of a small enough diameter to avoid causing excessive stress within the glass.
6. It is a bonus if the wire is reasonably priced or even inexpensive.